Friday 15 February 2008

What I learned in Vegas today

1. The Hoover dam is cool. The new bridge being built will be spectacular.
2. The roads here were all paved yesterday I think, smooth like silk.!
3. Lake Mead has less water than it used to.
4. Guys who ride here refer to it as "hardcore" if you ride during the winter. I think the Las Vegas winter is approximately like our September.
5. Road riding on smooth pavement with high pressure tires, and without 4 layers of clothes, feels absolutely awesome.
6. The new deadgoat kit looks so sharp people ask if we're a pro team.
7. If you're doing 140k on your first road ride of the year, maybe pick a route where the last 15k aren't up over a mountain pass into a headwind to make it home, especially when your water bottles and gel flask are empty.
8. Las Vegas has about 10 blocks of beauty. Go north on Las Vegas Boulevard and you can see the hairy underbelly of the city. Largest transient population in US. Fast money and gambling brings a lot of other vice and product. It's rough out there.
9. Surviving the homecoming ride down 10k of Las Vegas Boulevard/Main probably qualifies me for courier duty. My new brake pads work well enough to avoid getting hit by a car.
10. If you pull up to a stop light on main, and there's a brotha' who pulls up on a deafening badass black Harley, with his orange, green, and black Soul Brothers ensemble looking at you funny while revving his engine, then a dozen of his buddies pull up ith equally deafening Harley's... there's only one thing to do. SPRINT when the light goes green! I'm sure they wanted an excuse to let 'er rip anyway. I had 'em for half a block, then I thought I was going to go deaf as they all pinned it and went tearing by. Some little kid on the side of the street started crying it was so loud, and as I looked around, everyone was staring at the street, their conversations/business temporarily halted. The street had buildings on both sides and it rumbled 10x louder than thunder. I get up to the next light and they're all just smiling. Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment