Saturday 2 February 2008

Hair - the thermometer of life

Rod and Kim have a similar voice.  I just don't know who's got better hair... which puts my ramblings to the subject of hair.  

My last post ended on the subject of hair, and I'm still stuck on that subject. I hate getting my hair cut.  I can't ever remember really liking the process.  I wouldn't really consider it an issue of vanity.  Somewhere along my life, the length and un-kept-ness of my hair became a measure of the quality of my life in my mind.   There's a reason my hair lives for the weekend - outdoors, sweat, helmets, wind and mud help it be what it should be.  Temperature controlled office and flourescent lights kill it.  The "mess" of my hair has a good correlation to the VIGOR OF MY LIFE.  It's like the song that reminds me of the last trip, my mop reminds me that there's much more to life than glass walled offices.

The problem is that this often gets overruled or just plain miscommunicated by some hair shop employee who doesn't understand that mountain biking makes my hair better, not worse.  They just don't get it.  When I walk in with a volumized hairdo courtesy of mother nature's blowdryer and a lack of combing, it's not by accident, it's cause I like it that way.  It doesn't mean you're supposed to "fix" it by chopping all the life out of it.    Next time someone brings thinning scissors next to my hair, there's gonna be an altercation.  Since my last hair cut, which did feature the dreaded thinning scissors, my hair has been hanging off my head looking lifeless.  Now I need to wait 3 more haircuts for it to grow out of the "thinned" zone, or just go a little shorter.

I've decided I'm going to bring pictures in to explain my situation.  

Example 1: Cycling in France.  Life is good.  Red wine, the tour, 5 hours a day of hammering, and nothing but ham and cheese sandwiches to fill you up.  Perfect.

Example 2: Bike touring in Argentina.  There's something about beautiful mountain lakes, flowers blooming in the spring, and 6 hours in the saddle while the Argentine breeze does it's work.

Example 3:  Bike riding and touristing in Portugal.  Now to be clear, Tori has been along on all these trips, but here you can see the winds along the Algarve working on her 'do too.  The relaxed country of port and Fado and cork take the office stress away from the hair (how this is possible with dead stuff is beside the point).


Example 4: Proof is in the pudding.  Suit, New York, work.  I think I'm on the verge of pulling out my hair here.  There's too much concrete jungle in Manhattan to help the cause.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know dude, you better watch it...you could be the verge of a 'hair cul-de-sac'...know what I mean?.
    Let it grow let grow let it grow

    ReplyDelete