Friday 8 February 2008

Race against the clock #1

I did my first 10k TT of the year for fun tonight.  I did it at this time of year to finely tune my analytic training 2 months before race season (ok, I'm lying through my teeth.  I ride when I'm not working, that's the program).   

The stage:
1.  Music was good (+)
2.  La Ruta slideshow on iMac (+)
3.  Friday night after an i-banking workweek (-)
4.  Pre-game meal was a frozen chicken pie from the office fridge (-)

The result:
10k, 16 mins, 49 seconds, average of 313W.  I weigh 171 lbs at the moment.  

The reflection:
This was one of those rides that I did because I set out to do, rather than one where your legs are churning away and you feel like you're handing it to the world.  Half way through I didn't feel good and knew it, I wished I could have stopped.  The mind wasn't "attacking" the challenge all the way through, it was dreading it.  Anyway, it's a good baseline, and it'll be fun to compare over the next couple months.

I believe that works out to about 4W/kg...  and although that's a good number in some respects, it's useless when omitting the duration from the ratio.  I believe when pros and cycling press quote that ratio, they're talking about holding it for an HOUR not busting a gut for a little over a quarter of that.  

So I can either work on my time distortion device in the garage tonight, or I can resign myself to keeping the day job.


1 comment: