Saturday 23 February 2008

145k "hammer" ride

After racking up 450km of riding last weekend in Vegas and a credit card deficit to show for it, I laid low this week. Commuted a few days. Drank lattes.

But that's just what I did. My cells and metabolism were doing plenty. I noticed that the riding was enough to get the metabolism working again. I wasn't snacky at work. My legs by Thursday felt like steel. I went for a short ride on Friday after work and felt pretty good, although I can't say I enjoyed mud bogging it around northwest Calgary much after smooth, dry pavement in nothing but a shorts and a jersey (let's just say I didn't need sunscreen for this ride).

Roll forward to Saturday, meeting at the cabin cafe at 10am. We, meaning Pat, Tim, Devin the drunk, Gerry, Craig, Shawn and myself depart shortly thereafter (I'm going to buy Shawn a watch that's 10 minutes fast for his next birthday...) and make our way west. Legs feel good and I'm not breathing much. We're not riding very hard it seems. I take one token pull on the gel bottle before Cochrane because it seems the right thing to do. After a "magic" coffee that Coffee Traders whips up some of the guys go back (Devin feels he's done enough purgatory at this point), it's westward to Horse Creek road, with a remaining group of just 3 - Craig, Shawn and myself.

At this point it's more clear. 4 days of riding in Vegas worked. I'm not tired, and I haven't been eating much (ie. my body is comfortable at this level of output, not seeking out every calorie it can). Legs feel a little spunky, climbs aren't that bad. And the Cervelo kept whispering to me that it needed to set the record straight, cause it heard some talk out there on the street diss'ing it ; )

Why can't I feel as on top of my fitness the rest of the year? Oh yeah, that's right. Everyone else gets in shape over the next month or two. Oh well, I'll take a good day when I can get it.

2 comments:

  1. OK. now don't get sick, don't start any Mega projects at work, stay off the Exec. lunches...
    and KEEP RIDING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the megaproject last year killed me, not to make excuses, but it took a while to dig out from under that hole... I'm happy right now vs. last spring for sure!

    ReplyDelete