Tuesday 19 February 2008

Back to Business

Today was full tilt back to busines. Often I marvel at the spectrum of what I come across day to day, hour to hour. Yesterday it was biking up Spring Mountain Pass, which still had traces of snow, and nobody else was riding.

Today I saw one of the worst attempts at asking for equity capital that I'd ever heard. It's not my place to act high and mighty, but when you waltz into our office an hour late because you decided to stop for breakfast, then run through an ill concocted slideshow that demonstrates a high school level of work and attempt to ask for $650mm of equity raising assistance, you're not welcome to waste my time any further. It was about as stupid and outrageous as me showing up for a heavy weight championship title fight - it's insulting.

Then we switched gears. It's a little different when you're talking to the real deal types. Over dinner we chatted to a group who just parked their plane and dropped by for some due diligence. They run $5bn, of thich 20% is theirs. So when they contemplate handing over a cheque for $100mm, $20mm of that is sitting really near by. This, by contrast, is cutting the chase and definitely not wasting time.

Plus the latter group were just friendlier and more interesting. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment