Monday 25 February 2008

Sunday - gravel road bliss

Due to a conference call on Sunday AM, I couldn't really make it to the 11am start time of a ride that Shawn and I were going to latch onto (or at least just start from the same place and see how that worked out).

Instead I left later, and Shawn joined up with the team H&R ride. I went north out by Symons Valley, on my mountain bike, on the gravel roads. And I loved it. For those who aren't sold on the concept of "road riding" on mountain or 'cross bikes, here's a few bullet points:

1. Unlike Saturday's ride, I was free of Cochrane RCMP hassle for riding 2-up in the median. They pulled us over, then stopped at each corner into Cochrane to ensure our compliance. Geez. I do understand it's against the rule. I just wish our society had different priorities in this regard. Las Vegas was very cycle friendly in comparison, it's nice not to be treated poorly on the roads.
2. No "mental hassle" of mystery riders joining onto the group, not stopping for the cops, leaving us to whatever scolding the cops were going to unleash, then trying to join back into the group by looping back up the highway. I can do without that.
3. No traffic. I kid you not, 3.5 hours of beauty gravel road riding and one farmer's truck passed me. He slowed down and waved. That's a favourable traffic experience for that amount of riding.
4. Even if there was traffic, you're fine riding in a group abreast of the road. How can I assert this? First, on gravel, most of the farmers only drive 60-70km/h. They aren't, by nature, a particularly rushed group. Not to mention you can hear their approach on the gravel so you can move over. Finally, the chance of an oncoming car at that same point in time is so slim, so the cyclists and vehicle have a pretty easy job of dividing up the road for a pass.
5. Silence without cars. Little closer to nature.
6. Resistance. After mountian biking all winter in slush/snow, with a Rohloff with a little internal resistance, it's mind boggling how little resistance a 100psi, aero wheel, on a 15lb Cervelo offers. The Saturday ride was like riding a rocket. A mountain bike on gravel (and mine with the Rohloff), adds work. Work equals training stress. Right?
7. It's still cool out in the great white north. More resistance equals slower riding. Slower riding equals less wind chill. Perfecto.

No comments:

Post a Comment