Saturday 2 February 2008

Memories of music

Music punctuates my memories, as does cycling.  So many songs remind me of riding my bike in different places, either hurting or flying towards finish.  

I've got a few latin dance beats burned into my mind from La Ruta 2005 where at the 10.5 hour mark as I was making my way towards the finish line, I was riding behind a jeep full of cycling fans supporting a local racer, with tunes blaring loud enough to take my mind off my hurt for a little while.  

TransRockies unfortunately hasn't left much room for creativity or happenstance, it's all about Highway to Hell.  Do you know any Angus Young fans (or Amy Winehouse fans)?  That's from the FirstEnergy Christmas party, where there's a few rock aficionados.  One new FirstEnergy employee baby has recently been christened "Bonn Scott".

Most recently, I was being mugged, er I mean shoppinga in Harry Rosen on my bi-annual work duds stock up.  And this song happened to be playing.  Something about traveling seems to bring out the best in 80's music - from Latin America to Europe my experience is they replay it exclusively or judiciously in the rotation, as well as quality remixes.  For a few seconds, I'm not having a suit fitted while standing in front of a mirror; I'm driving a little Peugeot 307 wagon 100mph through rolling fields of cork trees in the afternoon sun along the Spanish border in Portugal.  I'm happy, thanks to Kim Carnes.  Most people are taken back to Portugal by the sound of Fado, but I'll take what I can get...

Rod and Kim have a similar voice.  I just don't know who's got better hair... which puts my ramblings to the subject of hair.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment