Saturday 28 July 2007

Totally bagged

After feeling a little sick all week, I got out for a ride Friday after work with Craig Stappler. About 4 hours, we had a good time, and I survived but didn't by any means feel overly energetic. I was on the edge of cramping for the second half of the ride, and a stop at Shell in Cochrane had me notice that my arms, legs, etc. were covered in a totally surprising amount of crystallized salt. I was a bit surprised considering I'd been riding in high heat on my trip with no odd effects.

I got home at 10:30 and tried to eat and quickly pack for the Bow 80 loop, my carpool was arriving at 6am Saturday. I managed to get up on time, but didn't feel too hot. I stand by my prior comment that 7 am recreational rides 45 minutes from town should be outlawed!

I could feel my body working hard for t he first hour or so of the ride, and I ended up pulling off from the group before they climbed up to Jumpingpound ridge. Got one flat and was uttlerly confused at tubes in my tires. How could I have "sideways" bumping at the race in Jackson Hole, that in one jolt let down like 10psi out of my front tire? With tubes, you lose all the air or you don't. And it was definitely a pressure loss at one point in time rather than a slw loss. After that I really slowed down, then about 2 hours later water became the issue. I ran out, whic also meant I elected to stop eating much, as gel or bars demand a lot of fluid. I'd rather ride slow than with extensive cramping.

All in it was a 5.5 hour ride, with 6.5 hours out on the trail with the miscellaneous events and the blow down trees on Tom Snow that needed to be climbed over every 30m for a while. We loaded up at Subway in Bragg, then after making it past highway traffic where an accident occured, I fed myself a half can of tuna and a half box of Mac and Cheese, then was in bed by 3:30. Need some real recovery sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment