Tuesday 17 July 2007

Near Wamsutter, Wyoming to Steamboat Springs, Colorado

I drove until 1am, seemed like a good idea to keep making distance while I was alert. Pulled off into a huge gravel lot at the corner of I80 and 789. Was pretty easy to make enough space in the back of the car to sleep. Before I knew it, I was on the road at 7:30 again. 789 going south is scrub brush, arid, and lots of oilfield activity. I'll have to look up who's active in the area later. At Baggs I decided to hang a left and cut across on 70 through Medicine Bow National forest.

I'm glad I did. The road from Savery through the park is devoid of traffic, beautiful, and freshly paved. I pulled off at a scenic stop and got the road bike out for a cruise. I stopped at basically the high point, coasted back down the hill, then climbed up.

Erik: How far did you ride?
Erik: About 50km, but with lots of climbing... took about 2 hours.
Erik: How many cars did you see?
Erik: Two. And the road was all fresh asphalt. Heavenly.

I kept reading the roadside turnout signs as I went, we're near the continental divide trail and in an area that's been used since the mid 1800's. First it was Basque and Mexican sheep herders, then copper boom, then ranching and outdoor tourism. One sign early on advised me of the Rudefeha Mine that was active between 1898 and 1908, and was 16 miles off the road going north. After I was done biking and had a shower, I pulled over for another history sign, which happened to be the Rudefeha Mine turn. The road said equestrian, hiking, biking and 4x4 was allowed. Off I went!

2 hours of exploring had me do 4 river crossings, a picnic, and checking out the mine site. I'm rather impressed at the basic offroad capability of the yuppie mobile. My GPS told me there were sections of 16% grade, and I don't think I ever felt a wheel slip once. It was actually pretty relaxing. If I'd had my dirt bike instead of a car, I think the road would have taken 1/3 as long, but that's ok.

After that, it was a 2.5 hour drive to Steamboat. Not many towns over 100 people in between, but did see Encampment, WY and Walden, CO, the only two "big" enough to make the map.

Rabbit Ears pass is being worked on heavily, so no road riding that. But made it into town and by fluke made it to within a block of Orange Peel Bikes before checking my blackberry maps. Brock treated me like a king, got someone started on fixing the Epic right away, then showed me the parts that are showing up for my Moots. I've now got first hand info on riding, camping, and local group rides. Heading up to make camp for the night and do a little mountain bike ride from the camp ground.

Set up camp at the top of Rabbit Ears pass, a camp site set up near where the old road went at Dumont Lake. In fact, the area map I bought brom the bike map shows the continental divide going through the campground (it's 20m away from my site judging by the monument), and I'm at 9,600 feet. After setting up camp, I ride for an hour on the continental divide trail. I'll do a singletrack loop tomorrow, and can't forget my camera. I actually didn't feel like I was challenged by the altitude climbing, but that's just cause I go my own pace. If I was riding next to someone from here I think it'd be a different story all together.

Got a one match fire going and had dinner while witting in my easy chair. A couple from Wisconsin who are RVing charge up my GPS for me while I cook, eat and swim in the lake. I'll ride here in the morning, have lunch, then head down to Steamboat to do laundry and look for internet plus a coffee while I wait. After that it's nap time till 5:30 when a group road ride leaves Orange Peel.

1 comment:

  1. when you say "we're near the continental divide trail", do you mean "we" as in "me and my bike"?

    as you describe your drive, i'm fondly recalling memories of our trip to 2004 trip to colorado. wish i could be there now!

    ReplyDelete