Saturday 14 July 2007

Freedom

Despite the fact that I Stampeded (ie. drank) for 12 hours yesterday, I woke up at 7 feeling fine.

Did my last minute packing, then headed over to Canadian Tire and MEC for some last minute items. By the time I was rolling out of the south end of the city it was around 11. Honestly, I didn't feel motivated to leave. All the hassle of traffic and getting out of town had me asking myself why I'm not lounging on the couch right now.

It was high 20's on the thermometer, but I didn't feel like using AC. I spend my whole life in offices, nder flourescent lights, with alarm clocks, popup calendars to remidn me to do things, and non stop phone and email input. I eat when it's available rather than when I need to. Gonna switch that up for a bit here... Wake up when sun rises, go to sleep when sun sets and fire dies down. Gonna go with the temperature mother nature gives me and drive with the windows down. This week I was probably eating 4,000 calories a day in the form of Stampede breakfasts, lunches and dinners and booze.

I stopped in Nanton for gas, and realized the car wasn't looking so hot. Just like me, it needed a little rejuevenation. I bought some wheel cleaner to dissolve all the break dust, some tire spray, and headed for the car wash. A clean car is a happy car, and now it's gleaming and looking ready for a road trip.

Next stop was Cardston, for 5 gallons of water, a veggie tray, and a stop at the bank for some US money. It was luxurious being outnumbered by tellers 3:1 and being in and out in 5 minutes, and being able to park right outside (even though bank was on main street).

I went west on #5 over to the waterton side of the park. The Chief Mountain Road then crosses the border and connects to Babb, Montana. What a gem of a road, it's beautiful, low traffic and great pavement. I decided after finding camping I'd go back and ride it. All of a sudden things started clicking. The mountains remind me of my favourite sign, just outside Radium, that proclaims "The mountains shall bring peace to the people".

Montana instantly has a feel of freedom to me. Not just in the personal sense that I've unplugged and now started relaxing, but the helmetless bikers, fireworks and gun racks just serve as little reminders that big brother doesn't strain himeself too much out in this neck of the woods.

I found camp near Duck Lake. I'm a few miles back on a tertiary road that connects to the main secondary road in these parts. To say it's quiet is an understatement. I hear trees blowing in the breeze and some running water.

I head out on my ride, and my shifting is off. 1/2 turn of barrel adjuster and it's perfect and crisp, love it when stuff works out simple. I didn't bring enough food, but did that on purpose. I'm going to ride a moderate pace to ease in, no sense starting in high gear to shock the system after the week of Stampede boondoggle. I want to ride empty for a while, brain is asking for something different after a week of excess.

The temperature is beautiful, shorts and jersey and not a single reason to bring anything else in the pockets. I ride back over to the border along Chief Mountain road and ponder the peak as I make my way around it. A sign says it was special to the natives as a tool that helped them clarify their vision and path, a guide for them. I can't doubt it at all, because it's helping guide me. My mind is burying the issues that occupy it while I'm in the city, and in it's place I smell nothing but fresh trees and meadow flowers, with my heart pounding and sweat rolling down my arms.

It's so clear that the things I've always loved haven't changed one bit over the last 10 years. University and career have shaped what I am from the outside, but what's inside hasn't changed a bit. It just get's drowned out by the white noise of life for periods.

I ride 50k out, and sit at a bench that overlooks the Waterton park valley. I hammered up the last few kilometers to the bench to burn myself out - I want to be at the furthest point and tired. I don't feel too energetic overall, but I want to make my tired legs work more to get me home.

I think I ate 3,000 or so calories today, but also fit in a 100k ride with a lot of vertical. When I'm out of office I don't seem to even think about eating as much, it seems I revert to the base version of myself. It's nice to snack on farmer's market stuff instead of our junk food closet at work.

My blackberry doesn't even get signal out here for phone... just one more reason Montana symbolizes the free.

No comments:

Post a Comment