Tuesday 3 July 2007

Preparation for Provincial Mountain Bike Championships

It seems the provincial mountain bike championships have been arranged about a month earlier this year. Last year they were held a couple weeks after TransRockies, which gave me the benefit of 7 days of intense riding, plus two weeks of recovery.

This year, my plan has included very little riding, and lots of desk sitting and stress. The race is scheduled for Saturday, June 30. Coincidentally, our 6 month bonus/review day was Thursday the 28th. This laid the groundwork for less than stellar preparation, as bonus day requires a last man standing approach to a restaurant/bar binge. We spent about 5 hours racking up a respectable wine tab at the River Cafe on Prince's Island Park, then switched to the Yardhouse on 17th Ave. Robyn and I had to depart part way through the evening to head back for a CCS conference call, last of the necessary approvals before the press release as blogged prior. Before we left, armwrestling contests and associated betting were going in earnest. I made several people a few hundred dollars by beating an MD, although I never saw any of the cash myself unfortunately.

After the 90 minute break for the call, we rejoined the group at Mercury until the wee hours. I ended up with our summer student and most junior analyst at the Wicked Wedge gobbling spicy pizza at 2am.

Naturally, I awoke at 6, unable to go back to sleep. I don't sleep in well when I've been drinking, and it worked out well with all the CCS inspired email traffic that morning - did about an hour on the computer remotely from home then commuted in.

I had expected to head out at about 2 or 3 in the afternoon to pack up for the race, and most importantly catch up on sleep. However, work found a way of stringing itself out to 10pm that night, in a rather interesting and unconventional manner which can be done in story form a few weeks from now.

Not the ideal training regime/pre race preparation for a mountian bike race!

No comments:

Post a Comment