Tuesday 17 July 2007

Dumont Camp Ground, High Alpine Riding

As I go to bed, there's a few lightning flashes and associated thunder, but no storm materializes. I've only to a light, light sleeping bag (actually just an overbag), so I put on my long johns and my alps cycling jersey. It's cool enough at night for good sleeping, I'm glad I brought a toque. Like clockwork, I wake up at 6:45, but with nowhere to go I decide I'm not getting up yet. I sleep in till 8:30, then dawdle around with breakfast and map reading till 10. I wasn't tired while riding yesterday, but sleeping at elevation isn't as restful, so I feel a little tired.

I ride to the trailhead I turned around at yesterday, which is a "road" that's navigable by any appropriate vehicles. From the trailhead I do an hour out and back, turning around at Long Lake. The singletrack is beautiful dry piney forest bed. My bike is working flawlessly, the hubs have been fixed up nicely and the Brain decided to function again. The trail is flat but rolling, there's not really any elevation to be gained or lost here now. I'm in awe of how much fun I can have with my glued carbon and air spring plus damping valve toy. It's amazing what technology and engineering can accomplish. My photos speak to the elevation as there aren't even mountains in the background, it's just alpine meadows at 9,800 feet. It's about 100 miles south there the peaks still jut up another 4,000 feet higher.

The trails are suitable for beginners, and are fun for experts. I can ride along at 12km/h easily or have a blast trying to hold 25km/h. Made it out to Long Lake, then just sat and enojoyed. The temperature was low 20's, there wasn't a bug in sight save for a few dragonflies, and I could watch nature to it's thing in pure silence. I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed.
I hammer on the way back, the trail continuously winds left and right, up and down. It's fantastic. I stop to take a picture overlooking my bathtub (Dumont Lake) when I can see it. The last 5k is a gravel road with some waterbar jumps, then I coast into camp for lunch. I've got an easy chair, a log to rest my feet on, and so much fresh air my lungs just might clog up with pine tar. I pack up and head over to the lake, then head into town for a few supply stops and a trip to the laundromat. Group road ride starts at 5:30.

2 comments:

  1. look out Keekers! Bakke's stokin up the PAIN TRAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really cool trip you're doing. Great training too :)

    ReplyDelete