Tuesday 3 July 2007

Terwillegar Park, Edmonton

The provincial championship mountain bike race has been held in the same spot for 2 years now, and I have to say I really like the course. There were a few modifications year over year, but for the most part, it's the same - good technical sections, enough space to pass, and short 4-5 short to medium length climbs per lap depending on how exactly you want to count them.

As my carpoolmates can attest to, I wasn't "energetic" or "talkative" on the way up. I was tired and burnt out. Having said that, I felt I had a reasonable race, given the circumstances. I'd rather show up and have an OK race, and thus keep my toe in the water of the mountain bike crowd, than just skip out all together.

I finished up 5th, with really all the time being lost in the last lap and a half, as I was momentarily riding with the leader at about the "lap 4.75" point, if you can call it that. Funny how you can fade when a 2 hour race is stretching the bounds of how long a ride you've done in the last few months.

My carpoolmate, Shawn Bunnin, finished 2nd overall in Elite, and Dallas DNF'd after starting the race with his bum knee, finding out it worked, then crashing and feeling content not to risk any further injury. Jon Nutbrown finished 4th in Elite, which I believe was one of his best showings of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment