Monday 23 July 2007

Taming the Tetons

On the way down to Colorado, I'd learned of one of the Intermountain Cup series of races to be held the following Saturday at the Jackson Hole ski area. At the time I concluded that it wouldn't really fit the travel schedule on the way home, I wanted to be further north than Jackson on Saturday.



As it turns out, my scenic route through northwestern Colorado had me in Jackson late on Friday night, so racing made sense.



It was a well attended event, with participants in all age and ability categories , as well as a single speed category. The course was probably the nicest mountain bike course I'd ever raced on, beautiful pine forest, lots of vertical split nicely between less technical uphill and more technical descents. The course was true mountain bikers course, as it wasn't open enough for a strong roadie to just make up time on gravel climbs, time needed to be made throughout the singletrack.



I met a bunch of new people, funny how easy that is at mountain bike races... they're a good laid back scene. They're all at least conceptually interested in TransRockies, so we exchanged info on the promise that I'd be a helpful local if and when the opportunity presented itself. I felt good with my race result, and with the fact that my last lap was the fastest. Lack of fade is good indicator of endurance improving.



After a chance run in with Mike Piker, the TransRockies partner of Tim Bresznyak, I ended up bringing home Tim's road bike for him, that last saw service under Tinker Juarez in RAAM. Small world - last time I saw Tinker we were chowing down some tasty pork dish at the finish line of La Ruta, having a primitive conversation that was secondary in priority to consuming the buffet.



Long drive home from here, plan to make it to Helena tonight then home Sunday afternoon. Not looking forward to the return of my alarm clock!

No comments:

Post a Comment