Sunday 1 July 2012

BC Bike Race Day 1 - Canada Day

Today started awesome. Good sleep, although lower back was sore. Nice weather. Fresh kit. So many friendly faces. Good breakfast, strong coffee, dinner night before was the $9 schnitzel and spatzle special dinner. Not as good as Olga's, but for that price the day before a bike race I was in heaven. Canada day. Awesome bike, at a bike race. I just can't picture life being much better; just so happy.

Gravel road start was a bit sketchy. Too many caffeinated riders. I usually find it annoying that people don't accept/realize it has zero bearing on the finish. But this time I found it scary, as I have a different risk reward complex now with a sub par left shoulder.

Got into the single track in like 40 back as I didn't feel the need to jockey for position with everyone coming up the outsides of the peloton. Then it predictably came to a jam with people struggling with wet roots and logs and such. Heard a ways back that it was standstill. I didn't unclip, just rode clean. That seemed to calm down the guy behind me that he saw I wasn't gonna be the guy holding him up.

So we get to the fast gravel path in a group of three, and it's just carving left and right turns at mach speed with the ferns on the side hiding what's at the edge of the trail. All good until guy in front hits his pedal on the apex of a corner with a hidden log in the apex. He goes sideways. I also hit pedal. We promptly make a pile. On the way down my left hand does a death grip on my bar and refuses to put an arm out, good thing the brain kicked in. Guy behind runs over us. I swan dive to a halt with my chest on the gravel and mud at the side of trail. Good news is that I'm not writing this from a hospital with a sling on and painkillers. I'm happy to get back on and ride off fine. Left knee sore from (probably) bonking on my stem. Used up one of my 9 lives on that one...

Next was the big gravel climb. My "road bike" feels good, I pass 20 people, say hi to the Handfords, and get to the aid stop feeling good about both life and this morning's luck. Even was riding with/past people whom I haven't climbed with for a few years. That's good.

We drop into the descent, and I'm now a beginner. Hardtail. Skewed risk/reward calcs in my brain cause of the arm. Lack of tire since the Maxxis Ikon 2.25's I bought prior weren't UST and wouldn't air up night before. Wendy passed me like I was standing still. I tried to loosen up and follow her, but she was gone. Wet roots had me sliding, and usually I'd got 50% faster and wouldn't even be on the roots long enough for lateral motion. I've generally been not passed on a downhill out here for all the years out. I made up for all of it today. It dawned on me that white DG kit, hardtail, lack of tire, passing on way up and being passed on way down was my contribution to "riding euro".

Made it down, and expended some power on the flat sections. Legs feel good. Flat with bumps and hardtail is tough, this ain't the right bike for here. Will try to find tires tonight to mitigate, but missing the Scalpel. Back started seizing, it was off even from sleeping. Ugh.

Get to the last gravel climb and pin it, group I was with threw in the towel. I get close to seeing Wendy, then we drop into the down section. Gone.

I try to be patient and let the flow find me, and it does a bit. I put power out on the less technical. I think about the steep rock stairs, and how on one my front tire bit sideways for a second, but I got it straight. Or the corners with the wet roots. A quarter second wrong could fling me off and make me wear a sling again.

I get to the finish flat bit, spin it out, and shoulder check. Nobody there, so roll in mostly calm. Like 1 minute more than last year... results will have the exact. A client of mine met me at the finish for a nice chat, that was fun. Get showered up and can't wait to see Cindy.

On the table I feel a million years older than the morning. Everything hurts. I haven't been able to mountain bike, so all the little muscles have softened up and got pulverized. Even though I've ridden the Flash lots, I only noticed today the shifters are too close to my grips so my base of thumb knuckles have the skin scraped off; just felt that in the shower. Back seized up and I couldn't put on my shoes or socks, yikes. My memory stirs up that tomorrow's stage is like riding a jackhammer for 4 hours.

It's reverse Bakke: make up spots on hills, lose on downhill. Its shorter days, but also a reminder that pure technical single track racing isn't easy to do, and is a full body workout.

The Waverly Pub has a curry bowl with my name on it. With extra hot sauce. And brown malt vinegar.

I moved my shifter levers. I bought new, beefier tires, maybe even a bit too beefy. But I crave more control, more air mass in rear, and UST side walls with some strength to lower my pressure. I hope it slows me down just a touch on the climbs, but speeds me up a bunch on the rest. We'll see. Tomorrow starts fast on gravel so I'll likely power out there when the fast crew ramps it up.

I checked Furious3 results and see the gang riding well. Congrats Shawn on a W! Congrats Kate on a W!

And Happy Birthday tomorrow Jon Nutbrown!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you're feeling the hardtail so much. Will be interested to hear how big a difference the wider tires make. What did you go with (for tires)?

    Really glad to hear that despite the aches and pains the shoulder is hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete