Sunday 8 July 2012

BC Bike Race Day 7

Early morning mobilization from Squamish to race in Whistler. Beauty day, beauty course. To me the last couple days have been superb all around tests of mountain biking (well, all week has but the sun and trails of Squamish and Whistler stand out).

We started in waves today, with me being in the second one. This was great - 4 min gap to the front wave, but able to ride off front with one other guy so got to ride clear trails all day till we caught a couple people sporadically. This must be what it's like to actually be a talented racer - empty trails! Started with a long climb up "easy does it", then came down "crank it up". With all the rental DH riding last year, crank it up was awesome. I'd say I definitely took the Flash and it's carbon rims beyond it's contemplated target use. The trails were packed well and a hardtail actually works great as long as you land transitions and don't get bucked. I was able to ride that part fast enough for some smiles.

Got into all the technical swarm of the Whistler network by Lost Lake which was awesome; to me it's a perfect mountain bike course. Physically hard and technically demanding to ride fast, yet fun and safe at any speed. If today isn't fun for people, they should pick another sport!

Caught a few of the lead group through the day, and just caught Wendy at the end for a marker. Good considering the deficit I started with I was happy, and it was fun to actually just ride feeling peppy in the sun. Great XC style course (and length) without being repetitive at all.

I had some low points out there this week, but not unexpected. Stuff sacks every morning, socks and shoes, and putting on jerseys reaching over head was not as easy as I would have liked. I also had some high points... I have two arms that work and can steer a mountain bike. I have legs that can pedal it, and the riding position is generally fine on my back, although I had to do some hard tail and steep climb inspired stretches. I have a bike that didn't really have mechanicals. I stayed flat free on last day this year and therefore also not mosquito ravaged.

I also have a very nice massage therapist who was all smiles all week ; ) Coincidentally, I also have a girlfriend who's talking about riding the challenge version of this event next year. If so, I'll have to come with functioning arms and a different bike, which will alleviate most of my issues. Both Tania and other riders on course said Cindy blazed both the climbs and descents when she was pacing ahead on her own. Her "coach" received many remarks after... I think it's really just due to inner talent.

As always, good memories of the people, the trails, and the riding. I "raced" some days and pushed myself, but a few days that wasn't in the cards. I can still enjoy those without too much stress.

This week packs an excellent dose of technical riding into 7 days. I consider it boot camp to keep the skills up. It'd be hard to do as much quality singletrack in a week on your own when visiting a place, which is where the value is for me. Also no bugs, and usually no rain help the sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment