Monday 2 July 2012

BC Bike Race Day 2 - Campbell River

Rained all night and woke up to rain in Cumberland. I milked the sleep minutes for all they were worth then got ready quick. Walked down the street, ate breakfast in 5 mins, and found my no lineup secret washroom. Boarded BCBR bus with a race employee who's a friend of Cindy's.

This morning's peloton was seeded by times from day 1, but after no less than two speeches at dinner last night and another reminder later, the neutral section seemed just as suceptible to swarm up the sides to the front. Silly since we were going to an 8k gravel uphill. So passed 50 people back, was in chase group to lead, then just powered out and settled in.

Big Specialized El Capitain 2.2" UST tires felt slow off the start, powered out on the climb and saw some that I'd usually ride with head off. I was fine with that. Was pushing a lot of rubber, you could hear it. Knew the left turn for the trail, so went ahead at the right time and started working the singletrack. It was super fun, the tires were like velcro even though rocks, roots and mud were the day - it rained from start to finish. It was a smart change for some security. 15 mins in I was trusting corners and moving well. Caught up to a group... and bam. Guy goes down on a wood bridge and thus so do I - not a super good trend this year. Didn't injure the shoulders or anything, but I am just sore in a lot of spots. But man this luck is being pushed. Started riding, but shifting was awful. Bent derailleur hanger. Then that led me to some chainsuck that ripped off the little metal chainstay protector. Tweaked the derailleur hanger by hand, undid the chain, calmed down a chain kink. Lots of people going by during the time I spent working on it, but I could care less. I've lost appetite for singletrack pacelines in the wet; pretty risky its proven.

With that setting the stage, I turned the mid part of the day into the BC Bike Ride. After the fast flow section, it got to wet roots for a pretty long while. Takes a certain amount of mojo mix to ride it and float. Between a not 100% arm, hardtail, and general soreness from 3 weeks of being gentle on the upper body combined with yesterday, I'm short on the right mix of ingredients.

Skipped aid 1, aid 2 I stopped and got a banana. Guy wiped off the number plate to scan it and I asked if I could borrow the towel to wipe my glasses. He said I just walked by the complimentary glasses cleaning station. I guess that's evidence alone that I could've used it. Once they were shiny and clean, it was comical how obvious it was when I missed it.

Got the barn door fever after that and just pedalled hard in an attempt to turn down the suck, plus it got smoother and my shoulder wasn't feeling as limiting.

After the fun flow at the end, got to the road with a group of three others. They were dogfighting for whatever time we were at, which I don't think was notable, but they might have had race dynamics among them. I started with a pull for politeness, then they all started attacking each other with surges and hero pulls. I sat at the back trying to figure it out, and seemed to remember they said 4k of pavement at the end - and it seemed surprising the pace they were going (harder than a 4k pace, but maybe they were stronger or didn't know distance). Cognizant of my big slowish tires I just watched. Within a kilometer of the finish, they essentially had beaten the piss out of each other, and I would have had to coast to go slower. I just kept riding normal and they came in a bit behind. Almost funny.

Did a cold bike wash and shivered in the shower line for one truck until they got the second truck going, so I got a clean stall in the women's truck. Heavenly.

On the massage table I felt beat up. Everything hurts. Then oddly my right shoulder really ached. Might have been the way my arm was when I was on my stomach since I was trying to keep my hand warm. Didn't hurt from the fall, didn't hurt riding, or showering and scrubbing little rocks out of my hair. But now it's worse than my left. I think at this point the proper therapeutic methodology would be to take this old dog out back like ol' yeller and put me out of my misery. Everything hurts, and it's for surviving rather than a feeling of "racing". I say that separate from result expectation - racing is more self actualization and just feeling fluid and strong as the kilometers unfold. And the self I actually am right now is sore, not very zippy, and tired.

Bow called and said my Scalpel is ready. I could use it. I'm gonna say that 100mm front and back, UST low pressure, long wheel base, and also what I've noticed as a lower center of gravity with 26ers would all really help. I'm not riding the rooty/rocky flats as effectively as prior.

But then there's revelation... I pedalled hard today in the rain for 3 and whatever hours. It hurt, I was alone for a while, and I just savoured the thoughts. I felt the mud on every part of me, thick enough to slide down my shins. And I enjoy that, I really do. Then when the massage tent chatter was going on, topic came up of an interior BC guy (skipping names, places on purpose) who was out last year, and was stoked to be here this year. Bit older, and "made the news" last year for hitting his chin on a log bridge and needed some stitches. Kept riding. With a smile. Really happy energetic dude. Got pneumonia earlier this winter that wouldn't go away. Went in for follow up and xrays and found out it was lung cancer in reality, and is apparently labelled as completely terminal, so obviously isn't here. That's what makes riding in the mud with sore body parts seem like the best deal going. I'd say put me on the Highway 103 descent and just let me roll it right out to the ferry terminal into the ocean.

So I went for a walk to try to find a burrito. Got close in concept - found a sandwich shop run by a really nice lady who fully accommodated my request for extra doses of their tasty mustard. It was also an art shop of sorts too. Her sister does the stuff. So I bought the attached "picture" of good thoughts.

Ate twice, had a nap, went to bed. Still raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment