Wednesday 25 July 2012

Cabin Jam

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on a Cabin Jam, maybe a year or two.  Glad to get out… it got me some intensity I’ve been lacking (slacking?) for the last couple of weeks.  After working late and missing a Moose Mountain ride with the guys too it felt really good to go hammer.

 

Decent turnout, I think 10 started… fine pace all the way out Old Banff Coach Road, I didn’t feel too threatened.  But I kind of forgot how cutthroat they are… my bad.  I should be embarrassed.  Couple guys stepped on the gas on that first ravine climb on Airport Road, got a gap while I was behind another guy, and I couldn’t close it.  Weak.  Rode about half Airport solo, half with another two guys.  Gap never really extended by much, which is good considering the front had 5.

 

Regrouped at the top, and vowed not to have that happen.  Everyone just sort of cruised 22.  Waited for train in Cochrane.  Hill was hard obviously, I made it up third.  The Jevon/Evan (sp?) combo of the two Aerobic Powerhaus guys were pretty fast.  I ate too late since my afternoon meeting went long, and I think what I ate sucked some moisture out of me, as I felt a bit crampy.  Just paced it though and snuck in a third to top.  Not too much effort on 1A home… until I realized…

 

The 4 or 5 Aerobic Powerhaus guys were sort of whispering back and forth.  Then it dawned on me that I saw this a couple times earlier.  I thought they were just chatting.  I treat this thing as a fitness ride, but looks like they’re working on tactics.  Good to see, practice helps.  Anyway the last couple flat k’s into town were various separation attempts.  In theory they should have done a better job ditching the one jersey that didn’t match ; )  Flat stuff I can draft and surge though, so it was fun to not let it get one sided.

 

Nice evening all in.  I needed that.  Now it’s time to pack for TR.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Bakke. I'm going to make an effort to get out to one of those so that maybe you and I can work together to combat the Aerobic Powerhaus guys! Jevon is riding really well this year, well done staying with him (and team).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to get out again too... and let's keep "staying with them" in perspective, it was like hand grenades - close but not quite on target.

    Evan was really strong too - younger guy sounds newer to riding?

    ReplyDelete