Monday 11 June 2012

Tour Divide is Riveting

So I realize it’s a marathon, not a sprint, to apply an entirely inadequately scaled phrase to this size of event.  But having said that, I’m finding it entirely captivating to think of Craig out there, little dot representing a rider churning circles virtually endlessly.  The guys are riding just incredibly huge distances daily, in what I’m guessing isn’t super weather by Canmore’s indications this weekend, over big hills, with weight, etc.  They’re huge distances if one had a road bike, no weight and a tail wind!

I’ve listened to the phone in messages – they’re neat to hear just little snippets.  I’m also amazed that guys have the balls to just call out the leaders and say they won’t stay ahead at their set pace.  Sure, everyone has their thing.  And yes, maybe slow and steady wins the race.  But really that’s what you feel the need to say in your 30 second message to the world?  Craig – I’m glad you’re riding with Ollie and hope it works well for you two.  Riding stage races is different, but it was always better with partners.  You always help bring people up.

Overall it’s just totally amazing and enthralling to me…. Meanwhile I’m sitting at a desk trying to fend off wrist soreness by typing at a silly angle with my arm in a sling.  I’m glued to the browser tab with the race updates... wow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Erik - I can't stop checking the tracker. Such an epic race. I love it!

    ReplyDelete