Saturday 9 June 2012

Iron Maiden part 2

I like tough weather days. Maybe even love them. I don't mind the emphasis on riding slick stuff vs. pure fitness; it usually helps. I was actually really happy out there, and having fun.

I felt good off the start, albeit cold. My fingers and feet were frozen from watching Cindy race. But 3/4 into the first lap, they warmed up. Started spinning easy to save energy for a (relative) rocket of a 3rd lap. I was feeling good!

Ended up passing Mike Sarnecki when he had some issue, and was trucking along. Then, the defining moment of the race.

A young girl (racer) is off the side of the trail, and she yells a warning. I look up through my muddy glasses and try to focus, and the moment I see her, my front wheel goes into the obstacle she was attempting to warn me about. Front wheel goes into a hole hub deep, I launch, and dislocate my left shoulder. She gets alarmed. I'm probably sounding rude, but it's more just curt, cause I don't have a lot of words when I'm fighting to maintain consciousness. Sorry.

Asked (or told) her to move my bike off trail, then for her to stand 15ft ahead of the obstacle, not after, to help next riders. She meant well, but that's the issue I'm upset about as in my eyes I'd have a fine shoulder if it weren't for that.

I didn't see many faces helping me, you sort of white out. I started walking back to start/finish as the little truck sounded like it was taking a while. Jon thanks for running back and alerting them, sorry for buggering your race. Devin when you went by I was still feeling relatively fine. I couldn't put my shoulder back in despite trying.

Ted and Cindy, thanks for the parking lot transfer and Robax.

Hospital. Dr. Quin..., Amy, Barb and Ian - thanks. Feel fine now. Probably will hurt later. Thanks for putting it in while I was unconscious. Not sure how it being out an hour will feel later. Dislocations sure hurt though.

Sorry for leaving you guys up there without clothes.

So much for what was going well!

Gotta heal for Ride to Conquer Cancer and BCBR.

1 comment: