Monday 18 June 2012

Shoulder debrief

Since the dislocation, I’ve learned a few things. 
This one didn’t hurt as bad as last time – surprises me a bit given how long it was out in total (an hour).  I haven’t had a painkiller since the hospital, Canmore pharmacies were closed, then after that it didn’t matter.  But even without pain, I was keeping it in a sling, so that the fascia and ligaments have a chance of healing up tighter rather than be loose.
The girl at the trail was a Spin Sister or volunteer, not a racer.  I wasn’t super aware, I just guessed since I saw a bike lying there it was a racer.  Jon thanks again for going to start finish when that wasn’t in the trail marshalls’ sphere of things to do.
Conscious sedation didn’t really mean I’d be conscious the whole time.  I was out.  Felt like I had a full night’s sleep, and apparently it was only a few minutes out.
Riding a bike (commute to work) is easier than getting dressed!  Stopped that though after the first day due to rain, and the emphasis by the physio on limited movement.  I’m laying off and immobilizing as much as I can to get everything tightened up well.  Cindy’s massage really helped relax the muscles that are trying to hold it in place (and I felt, holding it in tension against, not necessarily with, the tendons and fascia that are trying to heal).
After this week I’m gonna take off the sling at lunch when I walk through the halls, too many repeats of the same story!
Stopping riding all together isn’t good for healing, I’ve learned this whether it’s limbs, scratches or colds over the years.  Taper back to spinning in garage without real force.  But stoppage of all activity just lets the metabolic rate plummet and junk build up in the body.  The cycling bloodflow, flush of system, metabolic boost have been universally productive for healing through my life, of course caveated with the right “dose”.  Overdoing it does nothing, a light spin when congested with a headcold is like a magic decongestant. 



1 comment:

  1. Hope it heal's in time for B.C bike race.You got to lay it down on that new Cannondale!!

    ReplyDelete