Sunday 24 May 2009

TransPortugal - getting closer, bunch of info

I'm officially getting pretty excited about this.  Of course, as usual, I've left some things too late, but really what counts is the legs and the will to ride a few kilometers day after day, so I'm not too worried.  I'm especially pleased that I'll be flying over first class in a lie down bed... the thought of flying over back of the bus and starting a big stage race had my legs hurting in advance.

The forecast looks attractive, better than the last month in Calgary.

Here's the race pack - it's a big file but is informative with the nice maps.  Probably best to click and go have a coffee for a few mins - it's 73 megabytes with all the detail.


Keith Bontrager did a nice write up of his experience a few years ago, we'll see how I survive the heat and vertical.  A couple years ago on one of our French Alps trips we logged about 55,000 vertical feet in a week, it was a killer trip.  But that was on road bikes on extended climbs... so this one will be tough.

I'll come back either fit or toast!

3 comments:

  1. Hey BikingBakke!! My name is Cassie and I'm one of the bodyworkers (ie massage therapists but I'm actually a physio) with TP. My boyfriend and I are going over together. He's racing, I'm working. I thought it would be cool to touch base since I'm originally from Edmonton. Say hi and introduce yourself when you get there.

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Erik,

    Just wanted to say good luck on the Transportugal race.
    I'm sure you'll do great.
    Cyrus mentioned you the other day when we were talking (good things of course).

    Have fun and good luck!

    - Kyle

    ReplyDelete