Saturday 30 May 2009

Ola Portugal

The first class lie down bed was totally deluxe, although I think I only slept 6 hours.  I was going to skip drinking at dinner, but they offered port with dessert, and hey, I am heading to Portugal...

Tori and I had a power coffee at 5am "our time" in Frankfurt then split up for our athletic pursuits.  I walked to seemingly the furthest end of the airport to catch my flight, which was delayed as catering forgot to bring food.

The delay was made up for by the teutonic pride that only allows Lufstansa to hire twenty-something aspiring models...

Lisbon was warm upon arrival, sort of a shock to the system.  It appeared my bike box hadn't arrived, so I took a number and stood in line to talk to customer service.  Turns out I needed to look not in the clearly labelled luggage belt 7, or the nearby "oversize", or the nearby "Area A - other luggage", but some unlabelled utility door on the other side of the luggage arrival's second area nowhere near me.  Logic aside, I was just happy to see my bike box.

I was coming in later than the bus to Braganca, so I was going to ride up with a race person.  Turns out 4 of us met for the first time today - Ricardo a mechanic for the race (and full time mechanic), Patricia an organization helper (painter/sculpture is her other occupation), and Jose, who's a dirtbiker, mountain biker, scuba diver and looks like a pirate.  I don't think I've ever encountered a more chilled out group, especially Jose.

Tea, coffee, coke, and pig sandwiches broke the ice, while we were still waiting for the bikes of a British couple before departing.  Drive should be 5 hours, maybe more because the Peugeot van can't quite keep up to the Mercedes van.  We're having fun.  I've been awake for a long time and want to get there, but I also recognize the mountains, roads and towns from a few years ago.

Got to Braganca at 1:30am and was told each room has one key - I get to go wake up some person from somewhere in the world who's my room mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment