Saturday 23 May 2009

Lynskey Pro29 Lefty built as Single Speed

Last fall I hatched a plan to build a "recession bike" over the winter. I ditched my last single speed as the eccentric BB proved too eccentric to get along well with me, and I’ve been longing for another SS ever since. A single speed seemed to fit the bill for a recession bike - utilitarian, durable, simple, and inexpensive in theory. I had about 2/3 of the parts lying around the garage - I just needed a front wheel and a frame. I poked around a little and decided on a Kona Big Unit, which is a reasonably priced, non-eccentric BB scandium frame. Turns out that it couldn't accept a Cannondale Lefty as the adapter for the different sized head tube wouldn't fit on a head tube as long as the Kona's. Oops. Dallas will enjoy it no doubt.

As you know, this post is about a Lynskey Pro29 Custom. Lynskey's are beautifully made with advanced tube shaping, as I learned by seeing a new friend ride one in La Ruta last year. But titanium bikes don't usually compete well on a price point basis with Kona. Here’s where the recession bike idea failed, but oh well. I'm a sucker for sweet rides, and there's a lot of things I'd rather cut costs in my life before bicycles. Just about anything in fact... but I digress.

They were willing to do the work to create this with the "Lefty" head tube, which was a really cool thing for them to take on. I can't unfortunately opine yet on its ride quality, although it did feel nice riding across the street from Bow Cycle with the saddle height just guessed at. Marty stayed an hour after the shop closed just to get me out and on my way... thanks Bow!

What I can say is it feels light, feels sturdy, and freakin' looks like a million bucks! Total steal of a deal because it didn't cost nearly that much… they’ve certainly delivered on the eye candy front.

I've gone 29er again, as I believe this format is practical for SS bikes - the rear wheel traction is a big plus, as is the fun rolling. SS bikes require a lot of downhill coasting no matter what, so it's fun to maximize that sensation with the traction and roll of the large wheels. I previously had the Chris King/Stans rear wheel, and was looking for a stiff front wheel to compliment the Lefty, and decided to go with an Industry Nine build with Stans rims. The XTR crank may seem a bit much, but given what a new set of XTR chainrings goes for, I'm a little ahead if I value the cost offset of the next replacement... plus I get a little more bling along the way. The stainless cages match the titanium color very well.



Note the dropout detail... I feel lucky already. I'll start riding this with a 32/20 which is what my last 29er had, I've got a 19 cog handy too in case I start feeling strong or ride more flats. This picture really satisfies my desires to stare at beautiful craftsmanship and manipulation of metals... ahhh...


The head tube badge looks awesome, as does the curved top tube, helix downtube, and nice wide Easton bar that Marty fitted for me.


That helix looks cool. It'd be even cooler if my DNA had some super cycling genes in their helix action, but I'll take what I can get.

4 comments: