Sunday 17 May 2009

Bacon Buffet - Stony Plain

Devin, Craig and I left town about 10:30 to drive up to Stony Plain for the xc race.  We got there just in time for a 7 minute warmup after sign in, then lined up for the start.  I felt tired all morning and didn't know how the day would go.

I started at the back, felt really good just hanging on for the first lap, not burning too much energy.  Part way into the lap I got passed, decided to sit on the wheel for a while... Good for half a lap, but then buddy started slowing down.  I went to pass back and he sped up and didn't yield trail.  Sweet.  By lap times this was going to be over 2 hours of race, I had a hard time believing trail defense at the 30 min mark was going to be material.  Tried again 5 mins later, same result - then 5 mins later he just pulled off and came to a full stop.  Odd.

From there on in, it was pretty much riding my own pace and enjoying the course.  This course is always fantastic, technical enough to be challenging but with enough space for a little speed.  Ended up riding with Jeff "muscles" Neilson for a while, he's always positive to have nearby on the trail, so I throughly enjoyed that while it lasted.

Jeff was riding fast, and we actually got pretty near to Craig and Devin for a lap, which is pretty unusual for me half way into a race.  That ddn't last long as Devin attacked that group, and Jeff popped me off.  I tried not to fade too much on the last few laps, but it's hard - haven't been riding with intensity too much lately really.  Managed to ride the steep "houffalize" style climb each lap, would have liked to have done a bigger gear, but oh well.

Could see the race develop well as the course twisted around tightly - Devin was chasing the leader and only a few seconds behind.  Craig and "the blender" were in third and 4th until Jeff rode by them. 

Devin ended up in 2nd, awesome showing of his riding when not being crashed out.  Craig ended up solidly in 4th.  The blender was 5th and I held on for 6th.  Felt good about that given how lethargic I felt on the drive up. 

Tori's birthday present ride didn't work out quite as well, she broke her chain on lap 2.5 out of three, bummer.  Gerry got to the start late for his race - and Pat and Geoff seemed happy with their races - I forgot the places since looking at results yesterday.

We dined without showering at BP's and everyone had schooner sized beers for Tori's birthday.

Our hotel is a total dive, upstairs floor is closed from a fire and the ace is condemmed.  But it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment