Sunday 3 May 2009

Road Race actual report

Cat 3 didn't ride with Cat 2, it was just noted in the race package that the distance was going to be the same.  Forecast miss #1.

The wheel car led us out for a neutral start for about 4 minutes.  When it pulled off to the side, Dallas attacked and it was game on for the day.  I guess that'd be forecast miss #2.  I should know better.

The first 30k were continual attacks.  7 people got away, I don't know the whole roster, but that guy who went to the Olympics, Trev Williams and Craig Debellefeuille  were in the lead group.  Rest of us held together until the KOM #1 climb which peeled myself, Rod Macallister and Matthew O Hagan off the back.  We did probably a 20 minte 3 up TT to catch back on, just in time for Dallas to feel the tempo need improvement on the KOM #2 climb, but we stayed together well as the headwind was strong.  The short little climb before the first turnaround dusted me off for good.

From there it was about 65k of solo, and the headwinds cycling club made sure it loved up to its name.  Manageable for a while, but I did end up running low on calories for the last 15k, hard ride in with no food and water left.

Post race I lied in the ditch with a banana for 10 mins, my reward for finishing 3rd not last maybe?  

Tori did well in her race, mid pack I think.

Craig I believe was second in his.

Last I saw of Cat 2 was Olympian guy and Trev 1 and 2, and a 3 man pack grouped in 3-4 and 5 with Craig and... yup somehow Dallas snuck up there.

Once I started feeling human we booked it home and got Tori to the airport right at 5.  I want to be in bed by 7.

1 comment:

  1. I'm having some serious race envy... Nothing like throttling yourself two days in a row in the name of the bike! Nicely done...

    ReplyDelete