Tuesday 24 June 2008

Back Muscles

After the weekend, my lower back was sore. I've never had much in the way of back issues, I've always maintained it very strong, and I don't know what the source of this one is. One little muscle, the one that goes from my tailbone to my left kidney (ok, I know that's not it, but that's what it feels like) decided it needs to flex as hard as it can for as long as it can.

I self massaged and stretched a bit. Tori also kneaded my back. I fell asleep ok, then woke up in the middle of the night not able to think about anything other than that muscle. It made me feel like I couldn't eat, and couldn't breathe. I sure as heck couldn't sleep. I tried to walk upstairs to start digging through cupboards for some ibuprofen but I had to crawl up them instead.

At that point I wasn't a happy camper. I was weighing in my mind if it's just one muscle, can it fix itself quick like any other muscle after a workout? Or is this about to become chronic? I thought about if I could ride a bike for a week (the biking position seemed ok on the weekend) but not being able to sleep doesn't seem ok. How would I tell Jon? Could someone else jump on our flights in time or is it better to stop the whole idea of going?

I had to lay down on the floor to rummage through the cupboard, bending over wasn't an option. Miraculously I found some Robax Platinum, probably from when Tori got hit while driving our car. I had one, and gulped some water. I went downstairs to ponder what I'd do with a long term chronic problem... hard to picture for someone who's self revolves around physical challenge and a body that has stood up to, or been dragged through by willpower, many challenges.

45 minutes later I turned to jelly. Yes, these were effective relaxants. I could sleep by 3:30, and in more than one contrived position. I feel fine during the day if I'm standing, sitting isn't as good. I have bad moments, followed by better moments, usually the latter are associated with a pill every 6 hours.

I'm not happy. This is a stressor, as are my taxes, the reno, simple things like getting the cup holder fixed in the car that's now seemingly impossible. At work I've got more deals on the go on my desk right now than small shops do in a year. That's good, but it's not easy. Every one has their challenges, and right now many of them are making that abundantly clear. Bonus day is tomorrow, and I'm here at 10pm doing a half decent Winston Wolfe (the Wolf) impression "I solve problems" - Pulp Fiction, 1994.

I can't even explain how hopeful I am that a) my back comes around, and b) the BC rainforests are able to bring a little peace to my existence for a week. I have a feeling that this week, that started in the office at 5am on Monday, will find a way to stretch itself right out to 10pm on Thursday before I fly out on Friday to Victoria.

Every time I drive into Radium and see "The mountains shall bring peace to the people" I feel each word of it deep inside me.

1 comment:

  1. Erik,
    If you are open to trying new things, try sleeping on your side with your legs pulled up to your chest aka fetal position. I find it helps my lower back problems as it stretches out the muscle while you sleep. Also laying on the ground and pulling your legs up to your chest does wonders for me too.
    As you can tell I am blessed with poor lower back genetics. yay! 8)
    Dion

    ReplyDelete