Sunday 27 January 2013

American Classic 29er Race Wheels

When I bought some American Classic CR420's like 6-7 years ago, a few people asked if I thought it was wise to ride regularly on lightweight racing wheels... recall then, carbon wasn't anywhere near as prevalent in commercial wheels - high budget teams were spending their money on doping and Lightweight wheels, and there were a few carbon options available, but not nearly what 2013 takes for granted.

7 years later, after countless miles on snow, gravel, gravel, roots, rocks and 'cross courses, extreme temperature changes (parkade to Calgary winter in daily commuting), oh and did I say snow, gravel, roots and rocks? ... only rim brake surface failed at the weld, and one set is going strong. To be clear, each set had bearings replaced a time or two, but that's cheap and to be expected. But also to be clear, neither set had a single spoke so much as see a spoke wrench over that time. True and straight, with intense use as they have seen, amazes me. The one that failed still lasted 80+km home that day.

Post that failure, I called American Classic to talk about options with the failed rim. They said they could do a discount rim replacement, but that it wouldn't look the same since they've changed graphics. Alternately they offered a "loyalty discount" on a new set if I sent mine in (at my cost), which I took them up on. I believe they have third world charitable use for the old ones.

Side note: I've had issues with my "legendary" Chris King hubs cracking, which they say is related to drastic temperature changes and salt corrosion on the aluminum. The reality that the American Classic ones had higher spoke tension, more exposure to temperature change and corrosive substance through more use, and people question their reliability vs. supposed "legendary" King ones that have had two crack in two months... I'll tell you which ones I think are more durable.

Anyway, I couldn't decide on which replacement model I wanted, and my King ones were dropping like flies, so I did the classic comprimise: two!  I ordered a single speed and a geared set on their deal.

Initial pre-ride impressions: they're light, the tubeless tape looks awesome, the tubeless valve is awesome (how does a simple valve look awesome? check theirs out in detail...) the tension seems great, the hub feels good, their 9/10mm through axles look good, the white spokes instantly steer your eyes to the valves, the width of the rim is nice.

I'm pumped to get these things rolling for the Whiskey 50 in Prescott on a bike that's getting a facelift...

No comments:

Post a Comment