Monday 13 December 2010

Christmas season, skiing Lake Louise, Ibis Tranny

I survived yet another FirstEnergy Christmas party this year, the first one that we’ve been back to Chateau Lake Louise since the year I started.  Lake Louise is beautiful this time of year, although the ski area of the same name could use a little more snow.  Conditions are good for saying one got out skiing to warm up the legs, but nothing worth writing home about for “real” skiing right now.  Got in enough telemarking, alpine and snowboard turns in one day to fry my legs pretty effectively.  This is about as Christmas-y as my winter feels – spent some afternoon time with mom and dad too – after this it’s a trip down south for a different flavor of Christmas.


In my first packing session of the week, I managed to fit the new Ibis Tranny in an S&S case that’s only 10” deep vs. the prior 12” version I had.  This takes a little extra jig saw puzzle thought going in, but so far it seems secure and worth it once packed.  The entire bike plus case is now very svelte, and weighs in at 40.5 lbs as I have it packed currently.  Looking at the suitcase, and feeling it’s weight – it’s entirely amazing that a nice bicycle comes out of it.  Give a couple pounds for tools that I’ll squeeze in and it’ll be a sub 45lb nice racing bike that’s stealthy in airports! 

ps.  that's a stock photo from S&S's web site, I haven't started wearing knickers and women's sandals.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Did you go with a disc rear? If so, how was backing -- did the housing remain intact, or do you bleed each trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disc in rear too. I don't bleed each trip - I unbolt the rear brake, just twist tie the last two brake line holders on the seat stay, and roll it up and tuck in into a water bottle cage during transport with a SRAM plastic spacer wedged in the caliper. Worked on prior travel bike in similar but different style, and no need for bleeding after many trips on that one either.

    ReplyDelete