Monday 18 August 2008

TransRockies retrospective

I had a great time at TransRockies this year. Course was better than in the past, weather was great - not rainy and not too hot and dry. Everyone wants to know how it compares to BC Bike Race, so even though they're two different beasts, here's my take. TransRockies is pretty epic. For good, fit riders, it doesn't push you to explore your soul for strength like La Ruta does, but it's certainly longer and more physically challenging than BC Bike Race. BC Bike Race is closer to XC racing on a daily basis, but maybe doubling the lengths... maybe it had something to do with being sick and riding restrained for the start, but it seemed to dig less deeply into one's reserves each day.

TR food was better than prior, my local Calgary urge to bring extra was mostly just convenience on a few occasions. Quantity and types of food were good.

Our support was good, and I wish I could get by with less stuff. The few nights sleeping under the stars were great.

All the deadgoats did well, no injuries and nothing too severe in terms of mechanicals. It was fun to see Tim and Michelle each day and listen to both their new experiences - Tim's first mixed partner event and Michelle's first stage race. They always seemed enthusiastic.

I'm glad my Turner could do some extra duty, helping out always feels good. Providing a room for Tim and Michelle to stay in or to lend out a bike costs me nothing, but gives someone else a better experience. Crazy Larry had many a pep-talk with us this week. He's a guy who's really worth listening to, seems to have a lot more figured out than one might guess on first appearance.

Did I mention the competition seems to ratchet up a notch every year? The top 10 was a fast bunch. I guess we're the first hacks out there, since we're not equipped with impresive sounding championship titles and such on our palmares. It's fun to see them in action, and at the end of the day, I'm pretty happy with "holding our ground" to maintain last year's 11th place.

I don't think there's anything I'd rather do for a week than race mountain bikes!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment