Thursday 21 August 2008

Texas

Customs line at airport took me a full 1:15 this AM; I need to sign up for Nexus or whatever that snazzy system is to get through faster.

Houston had storms, so we were diverted to Austin and sat on the tarmac for an hour.  Next time I'm in Austin, I'm going to stay longer, and I'm also going to eat a big Texas sized meal to make amends with my stomach. I had a breakfast wrap at 6am and in the 13 hours post breakfast I was craving a little more than a little baggie of almonds. Ahh, the joys of business travel.

We got some cruddy takeout food at the airport, ran to a sedan waiting for us, which got me into a full sweat even though we were outside for less than 2 minutes. The heat and humidity of Houston aren't my forte. With the AC on full blast, we drive through a monsoon to the downtown core. I can see outside only far enough to determine that Houston's city zoning planners must be asleep on the job. We exit the sedan and get completely soaked, despite the guy trying to hold umbrellas over us. We run into a restroom in the JP Morgan Chase building and try to make it look like we didn't sleep on a park bench in our suits, then head up to the office. With all that happened today, we were only 4 minutes late.

Erik gets the pleasure of being the quarterback starting cold and running through our pitchbook, with my senior colleauges there for color commentary.

All I can think about is having little rest before dinner and a solid night's sleep and a relaxing breakfast by the pool tomorrow morning. Time to seriously de-stress.

Do I even need to mention that even a long day at the TransRockies is a cakewalk compared to work?

No comments:

Post a Comment