Wednesday 14 November 2007

Monday pre-ride

I caught up on as much sleep as I could, then we ate the breakfast buffet of the hotel which I was quite impressed with. With 4 coffees and chat, we managed to stretch breakfast out from 8:30 to about 11.
 
We saddled up and the six of us went to scope out the start of the course (Jack, Jerry, Jon, Trish, Tori and I). Jon and I rode up the first climb, and for a while the sun was right on my back - sweat was constantly dripping from my elbows. It's like riding in a steam room, there is NO air movement at times. The first climb was dry compared to what everyone has been saying, and STEEP. Man I forgot how steep it is. Pictures wouldn't show it so well like at ski hills, but it's ridiculous just looking up at the roads. If Nutbrown is in granny (real granny front and back) you know it's steep.
 
The tires have nice grip and feel good, although they're a little less volume to reduce chatter on the way down. I feel like I'm descending a bit poor again, but we'll see. It feels great riding at sea level, fatigue doesn't set in as fast. Bike is climbing well, and mechanically it seems good. I've got two things to tweak before tomorrow but all is under control. All in it was 2.5 hour ride I think.
 
Lunch was good again at the hotel, had a good glass of wine, then swam in the ocean and the pool for a few hours. We washed our bike clothes, and hung them to dry on the railing. 2 hours in the direct sun didn't dry them if you want an idea of the humidity. I had a few cramps in the pool, so I'll make sure I take in some electrolytes, but the relaxation is going well overall. The pool has a warning sign that forbids intimate acts which is one of the funnier pool signs I've seen.
 
We had an excellent dinner that was huge, at a nice restaurant that happened to be neighbours with a gentlemen's club. Interesting scenery for the night.
Worked a bit on my bike, and chatted with Cory Wallace who just showed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment