Sunday 4 November 2007

Acclimate or die!

I've had problems with the heat at La Ruta in the past... or maybe that's just my scapegoat for being inadequately prepared? Regardless, I'm going to try to "warm up" to the task a little earlier this year.

I did a trainer ride at my parent's house today, and felt relatively strong. I went to bed last night feeling muscle soreness all over, but my body seemed to fix itself up fairly well over night. The big problem with sustaining a respectable power output on the trainer was that I decided to turn up the heat to 24C, then proceeded to ride for 2.5 hours with a jersey and turtle neck on. I also did 30 minutes on a stair stepper, carrying a 25lb backpack 1/6th of the time, 10lbs of weight 1/6 of the time, and just sucking wind for the remaining 2/3.

It was a great workout; I went through 6 water bottles in 3 hours.

My house is now set to 22C for the remainder of the week, and I'll arrive in Costa Rica 3 days before the race. Hopefully the heat won't be such a shock to the system this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment