Sunday 18 November 2007

Day 3 - Volcano Irazu

Felt good at the start today, maybe it was the little boost of being in the starting block with all the riders who are called up. Climbed right up to the pavement behind Jon (a hard start for him, a good start for me). That pace took it's toll though once we hit the pavement so I took the rest of my climb at my own speed. I suffered on the descent, I don't think the Rock Shox SID was designed for 90 minute descents, it seemed to amplify every rock rather than dampen the bumps. My record of not being passed by anyone on the downhill is gone...
 
I think I managed to come in under 5 hours, I sorta forget the finish time... saw Jon after, he finished behind me by about 5 minutes, one crash, one flat, and one wrong way turn all took their toll on his time.
 
Tom Ebbern smashed his head/helmet on a rock, it's in a few pieces and looks like it was sledgehammered (he's a-ok and smiling).
 
Trish had a hard time on the descent, ended up in 5th today, but is still 4th overall with a time of 6:02 on the day.
 
Jerry had a little blood on the knee, but was smiling and it didn't seem to serious. Said back was tight on the climb. Time of "7 something, honestly I can't remember cause I"m getting pretty tired."
 
Happy-Jack didn't seem to have any problems today, other than a wrong turn. 6:20 for time, bike working fine.
 
The Jon part 2 comment is that his hand slipped off the bar at (insert high speed here, I'm uncertain) and took a big wipeout into a retaining wall and ended up on his back in a 5 ft deep drainage ditch that was only wide enough for his body, with water running over him staring up at the sky. The daily safety prayer worked, and I believe all Deadgoat La Rutans are included in that one.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment