Saturday 31 March 2012

Water Valley ride

11 person turnout, not including Keith Bayly, Katy Curtis and Cindy who came to Cadence. Thomas Yip, Craig Stappler, Craig Marshall, Kate Aardal, Jon Nutbrown, Cesar Martin, Pat Dodge, Graham Torrie, Jay Bachman and Mark McConnel ensured it was going to be a good pace. This was a good example for Jay whom I met at spin class that everyone I ride with has far superior talent. Maybe in 20 years this thing will be the next Golden Triangle ; )

We made it out to Water Valley fast, good pace all the way out. Hit the corner store for beverages, then happened to be the only table of 11 people in lycra in the Water Valley saloon. Chowed on some great soup and fries, then had an ah ha moment half way through the fries when I noticed a bottle of HP right in front of me. Good times had by all.

We warmed up riding fairly fast right away, then Pat Dodge realized he had to be home at a certain time and just rode off the front into a stiff headwind. It was very, well, appropriate Pat Dodge style.

Jon had some food issues at lunch, so got helped with pushing for about an hour and a half on the back stretch. Cesar didn't have a weak pedal stroke all day. Craig did yeoman's duty on pushing, as did Mark, Thomas, Graham, etc.

We turned left for Wildcat Hill, Graham went straight for 1A for a faster trip home to Cochrane. We discussed the steep hill's merits on the approach, and a decision was made if I wanted to be a "giver" or "receiver"... I didn't feel like being a receiver. Had some decent legs towards the end which was fun.

Stopped in Cochrane for a communal $50 of caffeine and sweets, then again decided not to let Cochrane hill put the boots to me. Jon's legs (and fuel supply) had come back, so we sprinted the top. Fun.

Bit of a headwind back, not too bad. We split up near 12 mile coulee road, I need an explanation of what those Bust Loose party busses were doing... they got Craig and Cesar's attention.

Got down to Bowness, and Mark threw it out as we went under the train bridge to sprint it out Tour de Bowness crit style. Hell yeah. No surprise I didn't win ; )

Super fun day. Thomas will have the stats, but I think 220k since I didn't ride to Cadence. Started at 9, home at 8. Probably had 90 minutes of stops.

2 comments:

  1. 237km was the final reading on my gps. The distance to Candence from my place was double what I thought, 13km one way. So 211km door to door from Cadence. Snazzy.

    ReplyDelete