Monday 26 March 2012

Old and New

I like new stuff... I can't lay claim to moral high ground on not being a consumer.

I also like tried and true. The old Benz. My decade old Helly Hansen ski jacket. '96 Stumpjumper hardtail. If it ain broke, don't fix it.

But if it is broke...

These Lake winter shoes are great. In the future, a wonder fabric Gore Tex or the like might grace my next shoes. In the meantime, I probably wear these 150 days a year and for a lot of miles. I think they're 4 years old. The plastic in the heel eventually shreds the stitching, but once a year cobbler service has kept them going.

This MEC bike commuter backpack is also in decade territory - and considering I'm a 4/5ths of the time bike commuter, that's probably 52*5*4/5*10= 2,000 days commuting, so 4,000 one way trips. The belt strap is elastic, and velcro doesn't last that long. It was getting really wimpy. New buckles instead of velcro closure should stretch it out another decade.

I'm so happy with today's upgrades! The cobbler in TD Square is fast, good, and priced right.

No comments:

Post a Comment