Monday 14 June 2010

Karting - Rotax engine racing kart style

Jill Boddy is a kart racer and KERN employee,  and thank god we crossed paths in life through Tori... also worth mention is the UK passport that leaves her complete with one of those other side-of-the-pond-accents that just lends the "proper" flare to discussing things like racing, and needless to say, I'm susceptible lately to racing and racing machinery discussions.

I was lured out (let's say twisted my rubber arm) for an intro to karting night with faster machinery than I've had my hands on prior.  They're powerful enough that you can over ride traction limits pretty easily at any time, which is perfect - it makes the entire time a judgment and execution exercise.  Fun fun, other than our continuing Calgary "summer".  They tape off half the radiator exposure to keep the engine temperatures up if that's any indication of temperatures... sheesh.

I'm going to have to do more karting.  High speed machinery in ones hands, and the judgment, forethought, composure and reactions is addictive. The skill development potential is high, and need for speed is a genie that doesn't go back into the bottle I've learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment