Wednesday 24 March 2010

Ibis Tranny


I now own a beautiful Ibis Tranny nude carbon frame, size large. It's 3.3lbs of travel packable ultra rigid carbon goodness.

I temporarily purchased it for research purposes to see if it would fit into an S&S coupler bike box from a local shop, and even though I've researched ways of bringing it up less expesively from the US, the fact of the matter is when I'm working until midnight, plus have morning meetings galore (seriously, who has a 6am, 7am and 8am meeting in a single day? how is that normal?) the convenience of "doing nothing" and keeping the frame at home won out vs. returning it and importing another.

I'm not sure when I'll build this, but the goal is to have a sub 20lb, yet repectably robust hard tail racing bike created. The frame feels ultra rigid from a little test ride. I think I'll weight weenie it for fun, plus the S&S coupler boxes are available 2lbs lighter these days too. Building bikes is fun, although not quite as fun as riding them. I don't have a feeling it'll be done very soon, as I also need to do important things like ensuring I have a house to live in reasonably soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very curious to see how this one turns out... Building a "easy travel" bike is definitely on my long term "to do" list...

    ReplyDelete