Monday 8 March 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Tori and I saw Alice in Wonderland at Union Square last night. After buying tickets online, we waited in line to pick them up, but as we neared the front of the line, a girl next to us said we could use the machines to print them. Tori ran to do that, and I ended up being front in line so I thought I'd at least try asking too, just in case, so we didn't loose our spot if we needed it.

"Hi, can I get the tickets we bought online here?"

"Yeah. Card please."

"Uhh, my girlfriend went to some machines with the card to try to work that."

"You mean that white girl over there?"

I turned around and saw Tori gleefully running back with tickets. The ticket counter girl's accent was what made the line, and yes, being a "white girl" was a useful descriptive to single her out in the crowd at this particular theatre. The accent reminded me of one of the best scenes from one of the best movies of all time, dripping with layers of timeless talent (sorry, two parts have survived on youtube, and total side note, my story about literally running into Dan Akroyd in our office the day I was learning to ride a unicycle is humor highlight of my existence):




But this is all really about Alice
in Wonderland. The ever increasing ability of Hollywood to make things not real appear as real worlds impresses me. This 3D stuff just might revive theaters till it can be replicated at home, it's awesome. I'm particularly fond of the Cheshire cat, but wonderland as a whole was incredible. For those who get bogged down by such things, this wasn't a word for word repeat of the book, it was an adaptation to convey to the masses "think outside the box and chart your own course". As much as Alice in Wonderland it could be called Tori on Planet Earth (especially if you hear what she observes during a bike ride together) Good stuff, check it.

3D movie equipped New York tourists.


No comments:

Post a Comment