Monday 17 March 2008

London

Our overnight flight got us here at 7am, and we'd checked into the Mandarin Oriental hotel by 8am. Quite posh I must say.

Will Lacey, Tori and I went for a walk through the neighbourhoods. There's no "big houses" as an obvious statement of the cost of places, but the Bentleys, Porsches and Rovers parked outside would indicate this isn't the cut rate part of town.

We walked towards the Museum of Natural History, and stopped for breakfast half way there. Breakfast for three, which were egg dishes and coffee, was £40. Wow.

The Natural History museum is free, and the building it's housed in is absolutely spectacular. We spent time in the dinosaurs, geology and primates areas, as well as a cruise through the bird specimen hall. Super cool all around.

We got back to the hotel around 1pm I think. Tori and I napped for a few hours, bodies are confused. Our breakfast came at 8am, and after that caloric excess we decided to nap a bit more. As it turns out, we didn't wake up till 1:30pm, laziest day I've had in years. I think it was catchup for days of odd schedules, and Tori was a little sick.

We quickly built up our bikes to go for a ride. I picked a route from a bike club that had the routes google mapped. It looked easy to navigate. In reality, nothing in this city seems easy to navigate. This drive on the left thing makes me feel like a fish out of water, it's painful on the brain. I think I'd have to ride here every day for a week before even considering getting behind the wheel of a car just to start to get the flow.

We went through some very posh neighbourhoods, where all the cars are Maserati/Ferrari/Rover/Bentley/Benz, etc. Then we made our way to Arabic neighbourhoods where english wasn't heard anywhere in earshot. Cars and busses are courteous to bikes, but the roads are still congested.

At one point I rode a few blocks behind a Ferrari. I don't see the appeal of that car here other than looking cool. He was inching along in spots, and had to hug the side of the road, slowing down to move past traffic blockages and driving within inches of the parked cars with the mirrors. Seems like a Mini or a Porsche (narrower car) would be a lot better. I think he enjoyed flooring it out of stop lights though, the engine was loud enough to set off the alarms of the Porsches on the side.

After cleaning up, we had dinner at Nobu. I guess I see why the place is famous, ithe dinner was fairly creative and impeccable.

No comments:

Post a Comment