Wednesday 19 September 2012

Life, Death, Conflict and Peace

I consider myself lucky this afternoon. Attended a funeral, which always has sad points. But in my view it focussed on the good, the life lived, the impacts made. It's time for reflection, a time where others offer their "score" of how you helped touch them on earth.  It then meandered a bit through make believe points of religion, but that's fine too I guess, even if some guy walking out of a tomb resurrected isn't on my top story list.  At the same time there's babies doing their grabbing everything in site in the pews.  All goes round.

It's always good to think of what one's own obituary will look like. I drafted my expected one at one point, which is a bit like writing an outline of a novel you hope becomes your life. I also know my funeral can't really fit in a "place of god". Probably needs outdoors, and people doing outdoor things to remember the good times.  Hopefully I have some time left to sort it out.

Secondly, I listened to Kofi Annan speak, at one of the Bon Mot book club dinners. First, he doesn't really show age.  I guess I was at a short distance, but he looks pretty good.  It's enlightening to be able to hear someone speak from the level of top of world conflict diplomacy, yet grounded in the pursuit of bettering the human condition. I expected perhaps a lot of hot air with little said, in the way of politician speak. False. Very direct, dodges no questions. Yet humorous, and perpetually in control, and immensely well measured and intelligent. 90 minutes of captivation, motivation, inspiration all jam packed.

My daily world is energy finance and bikes. His is generally bridging the resources (dollars, armaments, human, and political will) of world leaders/leadership countries against the ills of despot leaders and/or conflict creators. He's been at the referee position, and partial on the field position, of a massive slice of modern history. I at best stay 15th level removed by reading news (in one language). When exposed through dialogue on the various points of his talk, that chasm can be gauged as immense. He's shaken hands with many men he despises in the utmost, yet its in his duty. Many of them are dead now as leaders of the last few decades of warring nations, a few sit in The Hague awaiting fate. I'm surprised he runs down a list that willingly.  Sometimes peace follows.  Or relative peace.  Or a situation that needs more effort.

Time will tell how his calls on current hot spots turn out. The comments seemed very well measured to say the least, and I'm not betting against him.

No comments:

Post a Comment