Saturday 8 September 2012

Cannondale Scalpel - end of an era

The 100mm version of the Scalpel has been my favourite all time mountain bike, yet it's found it's way to a new owner.  A long term friend of mine who's starting to dabble more with biking wanted something more than a flat pedal Rockhopper, and after a test ride, terms were arrived at.

In reality, I long for the same bike, yet with 29er wheels.  Going back to less contact patch feels sketchy in comparison, with the two wheels mounted way down below the bike, rather than feeling like I'm more between them.  On the plus side, 29ers aren't achieving the saddle to handlebar drop I was used to, and with the higher position, feel more weight back and less precision in steering... let's say... less Scalpel like on the single track?

Having said that, I've got a new steed coming in the new year... but the Scalpel has served well, I'd say almost legend status.

No comments:

Post a Comment