Wednesday 15 August 2012

Breck Epic Day 4

We had a bear visit our garbage last night, but nobody other than the neighbour saw it. Said it's 700lbs and golden yellow if we see it around. I hope I don't.

Snoop was famous for saying he smoked a pound of bud every day. I'm trying to be famous for eating a pound of burrito every day. The one day I didn't, well, didn't turn out so well.

I felt ok but a bit tired in the legs off the start. Kept Thomas anywhere from side by side to 30 second gap until almost aid 2 - he flatted a mile or two before getting there. Lots of the trail was what I back tracked on on day 2 - very nice riding. I rode all of Vomit Hill (but didn't take a free donut at the top). Descents are fun today - I'm back to double tubeless with a Nobby Nic 2.25 on the front - my new hobby is getting it on the side lugs and just letting it bite corners. This will be fun as long as I don't over do it.

Aid 2 was slow for me. Took off my undershirt, then when I went to put gloves back on somehow rocks got into the fingers.

Long gentle grade road climb after to Keystone ski area. I felt weak, but usually love that stuff. Crossed a creek then up switchbacks. I was doing awful but kept rolling. I was ok with legs being tired today, but the surprise was that my stomach just stopped mid day - I think the first few hours I just burned off the energy in my muscles, then wasn't digesting to add more. I just ground it out on the hill at fat burning pace and tried to keep rolling. Even after a relief stop I didn't feel good for another hour.

Kept plugging away until I came toi the road leading to aid 3. Some people were goofing off on rental quads on the road, and a lady panicked and put the brakes on right in front of me. Oh well. Rolled into aid 3, had a bottle fill, and Tracie said there was a climb. Yes there was... steep. I rode it all, just had to grab a few trees for some breaks on the way up.

Ended up catching Tim and Mike at the rolling stuff on top, they passed when I was having a break on the prior climb. Basically rode into finish with them.

Shawn, Thomas and I got down to cleaning business quick. I dropped off my clean bike for new cables and housings to save some work while the guys were going to an automotive shop for tire patches. We went for amazing burritos, it's hard to describe how happy these made me. Got one to go for Cindy, then I drove to finish and got there just 5 mins before she rolled in. She's really tired, but rode the sketchy descent at the start today when lots of others walked. Said she had power until close to aid 3, then had to face the last climb. She said she had 3 double caffeine gels at aid 3. By this time in a race they don't perk you up, they just keep you out of cardiac arrest in a ditch.

Side note - Chris and Jared you'd love this. Fitness emphasis over ultra technical. Plus Breckenridge is beauty, cute, lots for families to do each day. Everything is close.

Dinner was delicious fajitas. Wow. Cindy got a massage that transformed her from shattered to alive again. And on the way home Thomas spotted the fox!

1 comment:

  1. Cindy is my hero for gutting it out day after day in what is clearly a super epic race.

    I'm surprised you're running Nobby 2.25 on the front Erik - that's a lot of tire! Hope you've got a little more jam tomorrow. Maybe a burrito in the jersey?

    ReplyDelete