Saturday 7 May 2011

TransPortugal Day 8

I woke up feeling good, but as we started off through the rolling countryside I didn't have much power and was off the back of the lead group within 15 minutes. Rode with a few buddies for a bit, till my new friend Paulo Marques (who'll be at BCBR next year, aside from the 4-5 Portuguese who will come this year including Alfredo, Joao, Ana Isabel and I'm not sure who else) went down crossing railway tracks. He's strong on flats and descents, he caught up, passed, and I drafted into the wind for about a half hour, then we came to a stop crossing a road and saw the lead group a hundred yards up on a straight slight incline into the wind. I felt good all of a sudden and decided it was time to bridge up and get some real draft. As a side note to all this, my scraped forearm hurts. Every time my hands/arms jiggle, which on an off road mountain bike race is a lot, it hurts.

Made it close cresting the hill, then worked hard on the descent and next hill to get nearer. Not easy, but a super good interval. I assumed that I'd burn matches trying to stay in draft today then fall back to reserve like yesterday.

Once the group turned so I could see what was going on, it was Marco (day one winner) off the front, Craig chasing, and the remainder of the field spreading out in the mayhem to stay on. Not, as you may have guessed, ideal circumstances to try to bridge up.

I made it on eventually as the alternative was even less pleasant, but relaxing group draft was not to be had, more like redline chase. Stayed in for maybe a half hour till the group was whittled down, then blew. That was the last I saw - Jon still in chase group, Craig gone.

Reserve tank lasted a while, but then I realized I had burned what was in the legs and guts weren't delivering any more. Didn't feel good. Held on for a few hours but went backwards a lot on no power. Steve from Texas caught me at one point (he broke a chain earlier) and we rode a big downhill with a couple corners at the bottom together. I was out front, and on last one I realized I made a wrong turn and started slowing, then saw a dog and hit the brakes harder. Steve had is eyes on his GPS and rear ended, inverted, and got his leg against my seat stay with my tire digging into his calf as we still coasted, but his body was face down on the gravel as he was twisted up like a twizzler. This would have been an ideal time for a helmet cam to capture the carnage. Once we untangled and assessed damage, it was time to move on promptly as we didn't want further interest from said dog.

I pulled off shortly thereafter for 3 mini cokes to try to help the energy, but it only helped a bit. Started slogging through the river crossing section. Eventually a trip to the woods left me feeling a bit better. Downed a bunch of food and felt good for the super steep gravel climb about 45 minutes later. Drilled it without dismounting (steep logging type roads) which was a decent accomplishment at this stage of the game.

Day was getting long, and on the pavement after the descent I had to change batteries in the GPS for first time - not a good sign as they're good for just over 8h

Grinded it up the neverending 20k paved climb that always had another up at the next corner. Rode with Dutch Daniel a bit and he splurged for cokes and a ham sandwich at one of the so-called tops. Eventually made it in after the 9k descent.

Kate held in for 13th on a long day. I thought of her in the numerous river crossings - most of the time road rash and dog bite stitches aren't recommended to wade through natures finest a dozen times per day. She eats very little on the bike, it amazes me.

After I last saw him stalking down the breakaway, Craig had a shotgun style blowout of a tire and didn't finish unfortunately, but Marco had been dropped and a lead group of 4 had formed with a Portuguese, a Dutchman, a Canadian and a Spaniard.

Jon was probably 30 something, hard day on the innards I understand. He ate very little at dinner.

Our hotel is unbelievable. My room is nicer, big, and more stylish than a $1.7mm Le Germain penthouse I looked at in Calgary, which of course in itself is a high level of nice, big and stylish. We're treated well when not being slaughtered by bicycle.

I'm clumsy when I walk because my legs are broken down and a new personal achievement is that I have a blood blister formed inside a regular blister I've had for a week.

1 comment: