Friday 20 May 2011

Light at end of tunnel

I’ve systematically followed up the hardest (ie. most volume combined with least preparedness) race of my life with the worst recovery.  After 4-5 days of not eating solids and general delirium, dehydration, and expelling all nutrients, I elevated my status to general functionality underlain by feeling gross for another week – limited food intake, still struggling to hydrate, completely sedentary, low levels of nutrition absorption, etc.  Now on the 13th day, I have appetite for some tasty foods which until this point grossed me out.  Steak and greasy Caesar salad sound good for a change.  Salty take out stir fry with hot sauce sounds good.  Yogurt still sounds good, but not an exclusive diet item. 

 

I’ll try to ride this weekend, especially given the giver8er next weekend.  I have no idea if I’ll just feel weak and junky, as I’m still sleeping a lot and not feeling spry, or if my Achilles will balk at activity again.  But it’s better than spending all my time white faced and stomach churning.

 

We’ll see what the Dr.’s visit turns up, other than testing my patience.  The experience was characterized by long bouts of waiting interspersed by a small amount of good advice which I expected going in “we don’t know until we get a sample analyzed, and if you did get here during the time you were violently ill we would have thrown some medicine your way to help alleviate the issues, but given you’re feeling decent now we’ll do the exact approach and figure out exactly what the lab shows first.” 

 

It’s nice just to have my wits back and not feel extremely ill just by being me.  The feeling of that kind of illness is awful, and especially for that duration.  What a writeoff of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment