Sunday 15 May 2011

slow recovery

first, the big news of the weekend is Tori made it all the way on the Tour d' Afrique.  I'm so impressed, and even moreso from the crippled state an event 1/10th the length complete with luxury hotels has left me.  I've thought about it a bit over the weekend, but to be honest, I can't think about it too much.  Any daydreaming or pondering a bike trip that large gets shut down by instinct right now given the way i'm feeling - it hurts the fibre of my self to even picture it.

my milestone for the weekend has been dabbling with a few bits of solid food, but I can't eat very much at all and after a small meal have to lie down.  did a very small ride with Cindy which was nice for fresh air and just getting some circulation.  the route was nice, but saturday's winds were awful.  Calgary does it's best to be unpleasant as much as humanly possible it seems.  when I have energy and can temperature regulate my body better I care less, but this just seemed so harsh and gross relative to Portugal.

i find it hard to stay awake for more than 6h straight, standing for any length of time isn't in the cards as i feel the need to lie down, and overall i feel very low energy.  like, the deepest fatigue i've ever felt.  but it's not so much my appendages, just my soul has little energy.  that whole not eating much for a week while waging a war of attrition with Portuguese microbic vermin of some sort took a lot out.

i bought a bunch of polysporin with all the extras.  this isn't the time to go for not top of the line ointment i felt.  and some bandaids.  I'm a good customer of both this week.

dinner today was cup of soup, a couple pancakes, couple spoons of pudding, a small piece of chicken (like what most people would refer to as a chunk that fell out the side of their chicken sandwich), and a half can of fake margarita (essentially lime pop) that I found at shoppers drug mart.  the upside is food has never had so much flavour before.  a pancake has layers of doughy, yeasty, milky, buttery.  buttered toast tastes intensely grainy, salty, greasy.  fruits are unbelievable.  I've got a list of stuff I'm gonna crush when I can get back to burning calories willy nilly.

when i walk the stairs my legs burn.

1 comment:

  1. Wow dude, that sounds terrible! I hope you are starting to feel better as the week moves on...

    ReplyDelete