Saturday 5 December 2009

Single day triple header

Last night it snowed like a foot in Calgary.  With gale force winds, that means 1 in 10 sidewalks are blown bare for 10m at a time, while the rest of the city has random 3' snow drifts. The winds brought in a nice -10C too.

But, the office wasn't on my back today.  I've been a "price taker" when it comes to weather during my free time for years.  I'm also getting a tiny bit smarter.

Craig dropped by my house at 9:45 this morning, I had my single speed kitted up with my new Nokian Winter Extreme tires with 296 tungsten carbide studs per tire... and I put lights on my bike.  Craig laughed, he didn't have any on the SS.

Between meeting Jeff Nielson at Cadence, hammering into gale force west winds, and navigating streets that had become nearly impassable technical sections, we got home at 6:30, in the pitch dark...

We slayed a lot of calories, and a lot of powder.  It was like two big bike rides during one session.

Why a triple header then?  Shawn, Claire and the returning shadow of BikingBakke crashed the Erfle's house for some tall tales and good times. 

4 comments:

  1. awesome! i love that you dont let some kind of blizzard get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn

    I was out yesterday for an hour and it was nasty. Did you get out of town?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Canucks are tough nutz. Geesh, I'd have been curled up near a heater vent and hiding from those riding conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are too fit on bikes now!
    Time to get out the skis and learn a new realm of winter pain!

    ReplyDelete