Sunday 27 July 2008

24 hours pt 2

After sleeping 4 hours on a concrete floor with my thermarest and other relevant worldly posessions wet and in reach, my alarm sounded at 2am. My eyes have pushed out a lot of mud in the last couple of hours. I see Tori left a note on my duffel and has brought peanut butter, trail mix and a toothbrush. Nice to have someone helpful drop in unnancounced.

I spent a few minutes addressing lighting, getting as much as possible onto my helmet and bike. After hearing that Tinker is out (had a good lead, then got enough junk in his eyes to necessitate a hospital trip), I fashioned a front fender out of two paper plates and a bunch of duct tape. My fender, and the adapter for the Cannondale head tube, are of course at home in a tupperware bin.

I'm rode again from 3:40 till 4:05. I was hoping to keep my lap under an hour, but the peanut butter mud and the number of people proceeding very slowly on the technical sections meant that wasn't too feasable.

As it turns out, that was my last ride and it was back to sleeping in the wax room. Our team of 7 rode 3 laps each for a total of 21, which put us second to team Lifesport, the XC ski and bike shop, who somehow manages to have an overall fitter level of employees than a bunch of investment bankers.

I think a lot of experience was gained by all, and a lot of fun had too. The thundershowers kept pounding everyone right through to the awards, which challenged our motivation to stay.

The deadgoat single speeders came in second to a US pro team - Ed, Tim, Pat and Tom did awesome. Lonn was second single speeder overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment