Monday 20 August 2007

Post TransRockies

What can I add that hasn't been covered in my blog drivel already... this was one of the funnest time's I had on two wheels in a week. In terms of "room mates"... Cindy, Tori, Jon, Craig and Mckee I've learned to love and appreciate on a new level. Each one of them rounded out the experience beautifully. I can't think of a group that I'd be more willing to bend over backwards for if the opportunity arose.

I can't express enough appreciation for Cindy and Tori being around to keep us all entertained with their mere presence. After Tori had committed her unwavering mind to the task, to think it all grew from an email whilst the snow was still falling to Cindy saying "my girlfriend wants to do TransRockies, do you mind if I pass your email address along to her so she could ask you a few questions?"... the main one of course being "Cindy will you take a chance on someone you don't know and who's new to the sport to tie ourselves at the hip and take on the challenge of a monumental stage race?" I'm sure glad you did, and with nothing but the best of attitude from the both of you for 7 days straight. Long live the giggleators.

The results are just numbers, but one thing that can be observed by the numbers is that Jon, Craig, Mckee and I rode together quite a bit out there. There's always a lot of other dynamics tugging at us, but the feeling of 4 goats (or near-goats in Jon's case) making our merry way together was something I'll wax nostalgic about for a long time to come.

In case it hasn't been expressed clearly enough before, Jon is one talented bike rider. Remember who finished 2nd to Tim Heemskerk last year at the Bow 80? That takes quite an engine, along with the complete package of technical skills. I'm behind him 100% to see where those "little" legs can carry him. Stappler and Jon were a great team to watch from nearby - Craig opened up his heart to deliver a terrific return to mountain biking performance, as well as an "open slate" as a team mate where there was no barrier at all to communication, they both wore their hearts on their sleeves. It's amazing how much difference that can make in a 7 day event.

We did our best to keep up with the experiences of the rest of the goats on a daily basis, but "laziness" sometimes meant we'd have to hear it through the grapevine while we were firmly planted in our folding chairs. I found it hard to spend much energy in the afternoons... 2,000 calories, clean bike, massage, nap, 2,000 calories then bed was what the afternoon's called for. Having said that, the shared masseuse helped relay stories, which was an important part of the day. Amber did a great job and enjoyed the experience tremendously. Linda and Trish stopped by for massage and storytime each day, and we'd see Pat, Ed, Tim, Mike, Gerry and Lloyd cross each day. Reading faces was sometimes enough... Ed is a man of few words in general, and even fewer words after the daily task of "hanging out" with Pat for 5+ hours of hardcore riding.

The race overall was a great experience. I liked the course a tad better than last year, doing Invermere to Nipika rather than Nipika to Invermere was the "right" way to do it, Bear Creek downhill is much better than hike-a-bike uphill. The weather, although dusty, was preferable to rain in my books (exception qualified below) as it's more fun and less bike maintenance. On the flip side, it had it's problems, not the least of which was Mckee's breathing. Ever see Gattica? A few parallels there. I believe we drew the best out of each other, and enjoyed doing so. And for the record, I use the word "enjoy" in only the strictest, 7 day mountain biking stage race sufferator and giverator dialed up to mother f__'n 11 sense of the word of course! I find it interesting looking back at how consistent our day to day results were, considering all the variables a long race can throw at you.

I have to disagree with some of the other riders on one point, and I'm probably in the minority on this. Too much gravel road? Well, maybe a bit much, but I don't loathe it as much as some of the others seem to. I love the racing tactics of the gravel road just as I love road riding and racing. Yes, it is a mountain bike race, but it's a little bit like the Tuesday hammers. Drop or be dropped, lay down the pain or pick up the pain.

It's sad to be back just being a desk jockey rather than a mountain bike jockey today!

1 comment:

  1. I am disappointed you haven't posted any photos on your flickr account... When will we be seeing them?

    ReplyDelete