Sunday 12 August 2007

TransRockies Day 1

Checked into our condo and settled in for the night... unfortunately I didn't get the best sleep, I was having nightmares that I was working on the CCS project at work, and the clock was ticking down toward start time, and I was facing the need to do a high speed drive out from Calgary just to make start! Uggh.

We did lots of hello's and good luck's at the start, felt great getting all fired up for the ride. We positioned ourselves well at the front of the queue.

As always, pace started off hot. Did the lap around the village, right up to 178hr off the start. Mike and I climbed together up the first 6k of gravel road, pacing reasonably. I think we were riding in about 15th for most of the hill, Mike was hurting a tad and I helped pace. Jon and Craig caught us about a half hour in from their last place start. We got onto the hike a bike, and I earned my next bit of good karma. Trev Williams was climbing ahead, and they brought running shoes to change into in true tri-guy style. But they dropped a shimano mountain bike shoe on trail, which I picked up and gave to him once I caught up on hike a bike section.

The hike a bike was hard, 40 mins of basically as steep a trail as is hikeable, plus dragging along a bike. Mike was stronger here now and was my carrot for the climb.

We crested the top as Mckee's water bottle cage pulled out of the frame, which is a good minor mechanical, not too serious.

We bombed down the hill, until Jon and Craig caught up again and blew by us... the downhill was steep with tight switchbacks, I hope the girls survive. Mckee bailed in front of the camera man, so I hope we make the highlight video.

The last 10k of trial was fantastic. I was a little worried of cramping and running out of water, but managed to spin it out. I led the last half hour for a group of 6, then made a wrong turn. They waited and let us get back on, but two guys took off. We rolled into the finish in what is reported to be 9th, Craig and Jon were 7th. Tim and Roddi won by 3 minutes or so.

I sat around with mom and dad and the Fahey's for a while, watched lots of deadgoat teams finishing strong. It's nice to have family and supporters out!

Sounds like Tim B. had a derailleur problem, Pat and Ed look like they finished strong, and Gerry and Lloyd kicked butt looking like they hardly broke a sweat. Gerry claimed to have felt "a little fatigued over the top of the hill". I think his giverator is in fine form!

Jon and I walked over to the finish area looking for burgers, and as it happened Tori and Cindy were just crossing the line. We've been poking a little fun at Cindy for being the official safety coordinator, but turns out that's a good quality to have when riding with Tori. She's got some scraped knees, a broken shifter cable, and a ear needing stitches... something to do with a tree and a log. They were both in good spirits, and Cindy was walking around with her usual poise and composure.

Rest of the night was eating, eating, and more eating. And a massage. And lots of storytelling from the day. The gang is having a blast, and looking forward to tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. That was the best Transrockies coverage I have ever been able to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good update, thanks dude. Good luck with day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your update of your race and others. Liked hearing about the rescued shoe! --marg

    ReplyDelete